Hello old friends! I suppose this blog continues to die a long quiet death, as I pipe up every year or so with an update but also don't have much to say.
What to say?
The person I referred to as The Crush continues to be a steady presence in my mind and in my life. I see her rarely--probably an average of once every six weeks or so--but we're in frequent contact. We haven't ever really talked about the nature of our relationship, but I have told her I'm glad to have her in my life, as the thought of never seeing her again (as I thought likely a year ago) was pretty devastating. I still overthink the entire thing (i.e. what does it mean when she doesn't reply to a text?) but less so now that our friendship has solidified. At the beginning of the year I had a mental list of five very specific conversations I wanted to have with her; we've had all but one. And I know if I ask the right question at the right time, we will. (To be clear, that might take a fair amount of gin.)
No random person I could meet on a dating app could come close. And besides, I really don't want to be dating. I just finished reading The Other Significant Others, which thinks seriously about intense friendships. Like Elseship, like Nothing Wanting, like Single at Heart these are books that remind me I don't need to want a romantic partner. The problem isn't me; it's a culture that thinks partnership is the answer to loneliness. Yes, it is an answer; it is not the answer. The particular shade of my loneliness has to do with single parenting my particular kid at this particular time in my life. That is a time limited problem.
There's a part of me that thinks I could be really happy in 5+ years, after Tiny Boy moves out, living in some kind of "retirement" community (to be clear, I won't have retired by then) or other co-living situation because what I really want--I think--is daily interaction and emotional intimacy with good adult friends but not romantic/sexual entanglement. The particular shade of my loneliness is not the lack of a "partner" but the fact that almost everyone else I know IS partnered or deeply enmeshed. I am thinking of my college and graduate school years, in particular, when I lived with or very near to others in my program and we would go to the gym at 7 am or watch a show together on a Sunday night (The X-Files, mostly) and then I'd go next door to my own apartment. I was really happy in those days, I think.
And if you'll excuse me now, I'm going to go check in on The Crush.
Ahh...yes, I personally loved having people around, without necessarily having to be partnered. I know so many people hated dorm life -- but, for me, there was always someone around to do something with -- a movie or out for coffee or anything. I'm not running to a retirement place yet, but I think I will be fine when I get there.
ReplyDeleteAs a very senior, it is nice to have a variety of people to do things with and to share parts of your world with and not share everything. And also nice to have one's own space and quiet or noise as one wishes without a commitment about forever because things happen and problems crop up and independence helps. Life also changes dramatically as your offspring start their own nests, feathered in ways sometimes other people may see differently. Multiple circles of people of differing ages becomes ever more important. And partnerships rarely end with simultaneous deaths so......
ReplyDelete