I finish summer school tomorrow. And although I had delusions that grading would take like 10 minutes total and I'd be really done tomorrow, I have accepted that I'll need to wrap things up Friday. I'd like things really finished, like desk cleaned (I never filed after spring term), fall syllabus ready to go, email sent to get the ball rolling for my administrative duties (which don't begin until fall).
I have two main projects for the next weeks: (1) get Tiny Boy to sleep (or at least not wake ME) and (2) write in a sustained way. The second, of course, is largely dependent upon the success of the first.
I am working on a plan. Feel free to advise (though I will also feel free to ignore--too often sleep advice is dependent upon TWO FUNCTIONING ADULTS in the house).
Anyhoo, wish us luck!
I have two main projects for the next weeks: (1) get Tiny Boy to sleep (or at least not wake ME) and (2) write in a sustained way. The second, of course, is largely dependent upon the success of the first.
I am working on a plan. Feel free to advise (though I will also feel free to ignore--too often sleep advice is dependent upon TWO FUNCTIONING ADULTS in the house).
- I have purchased a toddler clock. I'm hoping he likes it enough to OBEY. We've been talking for a while about how the milk sleeps at night and will come back in the morning. I also make a big show of pulling up his shades when I get him (even though it's been light for a while) and talking about waking with the sunshine.
- Also, a toddler pillow. He likes pillows. He doesn't really have any sort of 'lovey' so I'm hoping maybe this will help.
- I'm using some sort of "no cry" (or, really, "less cry") option, as he has STAMINA and I will not survive three days of no sleep, much less a month. Right now we're only nursing in the rocking chair, and he's going back to bed pretty easily. He seems to need to nurse for about 10 minutes; 5 minutes generally he says "NO" or doesn't go back to sleep willingly. So I'm hoping the combo of the clock and cutting nursing times can get him to eventually not nursing. I think I am willing to do it ONCE but that sort of depends on when his first waking actually is; this past week it's varied from 10:30-12:30, for no apparent reason.
- Also, going to my mom's next week and maybe she'll be able to sleep in the same room with him and get him to NOT NURSE. She's helpful for many things but so far not sleep issues, so we'll see...
Anyhoo, wish us luck!
Good luck!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck to you!
ReplyDeleteGeorge really loved the toddler pillow. Still does. I love small pillows, and have got a few, and he also nicked one of mine, and he is very happy with that. He suddenly developed a deep attachement for a beanie doggie our realtor gave him, and some months after he started noticing the rest of the stuff animals. Now he sleeps with two bears, a cow, a donkey, one horse, one lamb, the water bottle (still there after the milk bottle went buh-by a year ago, or more, who the heck knows anymore) and of course, beanie doggie and the dummy. Yep, almost 3 and still takes the dummy to fall asleep at night. Oh well.
I would tell him many times that he needs to close his eyes and fall asleep, and until the switch flipped on, he would not care a fig. Now, he just gets it. He stays in bed until he falls asleep. Amazing. And this as the kid who would not fall asleep by himself a all, for almost two years! There is hope, Gwinne! Just keep doing what you do and it will pay off. You'll see.
Lord knows I have no useful advice, but I send you luck and strength and all that jazz. Sleep is amazing stuff. Why don't our kids realize that?
ReplyDelete