Monday, May 7, 2012

In Which Gwinne Extols the Virtues of Recalled Baby Gear

So the most (unnecessarily) extravagant purchase I made prior to LG's arrival, back in 2004, was a Pottery Barn crib.  Still, she used it in some capacity daily for 3.5 years.  Then I stuck it in the basement and hauled it out prior to Tiny Boy's immanent arrival.  Only to be informed by A. that it had probably been recalled.  Yes, indeed.

Not because there's an actual problem with this crib, but because all drop-sided cribs have been banned.  (Yes, I was living under the rock called infertility treatment when this happened.)

Yes, there's some hardware I can purchase from Pottery Barn to un-dropside the crib.  But then I wouldn't be able to slide Tiny Boy so neatly from my arms to the crib.  And that, my friends, is priceless.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN. I loved our old (dropsde) crib. If I have another one (most likely not, but a girl can dream!), I dont plan on using another crib. Things can change of course, but that's the me of right now speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran into this the other day. My sister gave me a lot of her old equipment, including a crib, but I purchased a new one for Annelise so it's been sitting in the basement. Needed some cash so I cleaned it up with the intent of putting it on Craigslist. When I googled it to figure out a asking price I found it was recalled. Can't in could conscience sell it so it's back to taking up space in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what I would give to not have to hoist my enormo baby over the rails... recall or not, I think it sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete