- I turned in grades for spring semester four weeks ago. Since then, I have read (a couple novels, a couple collections of poems, random critical works), completed and submitted an article (long overdue), started the first chapter in my new manuscript (I'm writing 750-1000 words daily).
- I have baked (3 dozen muffins, 1 cake) and cooked all sorts of things (hummus, this weird chickpea and spinach thing LG likes).
- I have done some yard work (mowing the lawn, which takes even wimpy little me five minutes with a push mower; weeding; scattering 3 bags of mulch [there are 7 more stacked up and that will cover only half the backyard, if I'm lucky]).
- I have watched a decent amount of television in the evenings (Nurse Jackie, So You Think You Can Dance [have I mentioned I was, briefly, a dance minor in college?])
- I have read probably too much online about fetal development, oligohydramnios, and recent discussions of antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.
- I have gone to the public library or the university library almost daily, mostly because LG reads about a book per day.
- I have booked a hotel room for LG and me for some Beachy Goodness Within Driving Distance at the end of June.
And yet I've also worked so hard to get here, and still feel that this pregnancy is so tentative, that really all I want to do is lounge around and rub my belly and otherwise do the important stuff (taking care of LG, getting this book written) and let everything else fall by the wayside. Which might mean our house is a little dustier than usual.
We're off to see my mom tomorrow, and the plan is that I return without LG on Monday and then she'll be returned to me on Wed or Thurs. And then summer really begins.
For those of you who are academic types, what do your summers look like?
LOL. The Dresser of Kid Clothes. Yeah, I've got a few of those. Ugh. And every summer I say I'm going to deal with it but can't bring myself to actually follow through. And then we have Avalanche of Kid Clothes.
ReplyDeleteB/c we are both academics, we are able to go away for a month to a family summer home at the beach. Family comes in and out but it's mostly ours and FREE. We've found camps for the kids over the years and they go off for the day and we lounge and read and drink margaritas and write and walk the beach. It is heaven.
Until departure date (in a couple more weeks), we are doing crap around the house, finishing up lingering school work, reading, and swimming lots.
Your summer plans sound lovely. I think you should totally indulge in that baby baking in there and relax. Forget the kids clothes this time!
I hear you! I've culled the Dresser a few times over the years, giving hand-me-downs to friends with girls younger than LG. And then I stopped doing that. Or I partly stopped doing that, and the result is a mishmash of girls' clothes up through 6x sitting in various drawers, stacked in LG's room, and who knows where else.
ReplyDeleteAnd don't get me started on the toys in the basement, which LG was ready to crack out the minute I told her I was pregnant.
Beach + margarita + book sounds divine. LG asked me if she could bring her book to the hotel with us. Uhhh, yeah....
Sounds like a great start to the summer!
ReplyDeleteI am usually running around like crazy right now headed off for fieldwork, or already gone to return a few days before school starts in August (semesters). But last summer I spent moping around and undergoing fertility treatments and this summer I'm staying home to mother Mads. I'll have to go to the field next summer, which will be an interesting logistical feat...