Saturday, October 27, 2012

Tiny Boy Speaks!

I remember it being very obvious when LG learned a word.  At 10 months, she could say "mom-mom" (in a meaningful way), "at" (cat), as well as her own name.  Other words followed quickly; by 17 months she was speaking in "sentences" like "park, walk, bye bye."

Tiny Boy is more elusive.  Sometimes both LG and I think he said a word, but then he never does it again.  Or it changes.  We've diagnosed three different ways he says her name.  He says "mama."  He may or may not be saying "boop" when he wants to nurse; more often, it's a "muuuuh" sound or "mamamamama."  We think he says "da-die" for "bye-bye."  And "dat" may or may not be cat, and "ma" may or may not be the name of IVF Kitten (whose real name is, of course, NOT IVF Kitten).

But for real, without a doubt, he said "ba-ull" for "bottle" the other day.  I was holding him on my left and putting bottles together on the right.  And LG said "MOM!  HE SAID BOTTLE!!!!"  And then he did it again, and then he tried to flop over to nurse.  So that may or may not be his first word.

There's a brain in there!  And it works!

5 comments:

  1. Dang, I love the talking. More than anything else, talking reminds me that there's a person in the little critter I spend my days chasing. And a 2-syllable word for his first word? I'd say there's quite a GOOD brain in there working quite well!

    Welcome to the verbal world, Tiny Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that for all the years I've been reading, I've never thought about "real" names. I've always pictured IVF kitty as being called IVF kitty at your house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SUCH a sucker for verbal communication. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Your last two sentences have me giggling something silly. How fun - I am getting crazy excited over random consonants showing up in Ike's cooing - 'real' words are a long way off. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete