Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tired Frustrated Confused

(or, my weekly whining session about sleep)

Because it was a Bad Nap Saturday (~1 hr 10 min total, instead of the 2.5-3 he'd have at school) I put Tiny Boy down by 6:30 last night and he was asleep a few minutes later.  Woke up around 10:45, squawked for a bit; I nursed him and we were both back to sleep.  Didn't nurse again until around 2:00.  Yay, right?

And then he was awake an hour later and couldn't fall back to sleep.  I gave him motrin in case it had anything to do with teeth.  Checked his diaper.  Finally rubbed his back until he fell asleep in the crib.  And he was still awake around 4:00 and around 5:00 and up for the day sometime around 6:00, although I ignored him for a while.  I'm that tired right now; I just couldn't manage to start the day, even if it meant listening to a baby yelling at me from across the bedroom.  And then I nursed him, gave him some toys, put a light on, stuck him back in the crib and ignored him some more.

I just don't understand what's going on.  The waking every couple hours to nurse?  That's likely a bad habit.  The waking every hour after he's started off great?  Well, that seems to be something else.  He's uncomfortable...and I just can't figure out why.

3 comments:

  1. Any possibility of moving him out of the bedroom? We noticed a dramatic sleep improvement when we moved our little guy to his own room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are experiencing so many sleep challenges....How awful! The instinctive response is to try to help or come up with a solution, so I apologize if this is something you have tried or if you are adamantly opposed to, but....have you tried a pacifier? I know it can lead to other issues, such as having to try to get rid of it later, but for your health and his, it might be what he needs to soothe himself and fall asleep right now. (again, forgive me if it's something you have tried or never want to try)
    Take care!
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, yes it's possible. Not entirely desirable, as that means giving up my home office. But I've been thinking about it.

    Maddy, he refuses them... I'd be just fine if he could use one to fall back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete