Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Quick Ovarian Update

Before I dash to class: the ovaries would seem to be cooperating. Very slo-o-o-wly. After 8, yes 8, days of stims, I have one at 10mm and one at 12mm. Which would really suck for IVF. But this is an IUI, which I'm guessing will take place next Monday. And two that close in size? I can't really ask for much more. (Well, maybe a third, but then I have to have the major multiples panic.)

And my lining is officially re-thickening and "not gunky" according to the tech.

Not looking forward to the return of the Ganirelix headache, though...

Update: My E2 level is 266. Which frankly doesn't mean much to me (as the only thing I can compare it to is my IVF numbers). Ultrasound tech said the doctor isn't worried about the follicles stopping/slowing their growth, which is why she's only increasing my Follistim dose by 25 IU. She agreed that we're looking, hopefully, at a lead follicle of 16mm by Friday, trigger Saturday for Monday IUI. What do you think about all this, blog friends?

7 comments:

  1. Is your E2 rising faster than they're growing? I guess I'm confused as to why you'd go on the ganirelix if they're not growing all that quickly...


    great news for them being close in size, though, and GROWING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo for cooperating ovaries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to ask what my E2 level is. My RE usually restarts Ganirelix when the lead follicle is 12-14mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Note self: when you ask a question, it helps to come back and look at the answer!)

    Ah yes, I can see how they might want to slow that down, given the size. Not that it's worrying or anything. My doc looks for about 200 per mature follicle, so if they were growing fairly normally, you'd probably reach that before trigger/IUI time. I was just wondering, because I've usually only ever heard of its use in IVF - most places around here would likely just do an earlier IUI.

    (But then, I'm speaking as somebody with slooooooooooooooowly rising E2 - by the time I got my surge last time, it was only 294, with two mature follicles at 20mm and 27mm. so, uh, obviously they wouldn't use that for me. haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My normal E2 levels would seem to be roughly 300 per mature follicle at trigger, based on the two IVF attempts, so this cycle seems pretty much in line.

    There's some research that's been done that suggests Ganirelix is helpful/improves pregnancy rates by better timing IUIs. In my case, I've had several cycles in which I've had an LG surge before I've had a mature follicle on ultrasound. I don't think my RE usually uses it for IUIs for most patients, due to cost (not currently an issue for me). Helps in this case, too, because the clinic is closed on Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm, that would be LH surge, not my kid's name :)

    ReplyDelete