Saturday, September 29, 2012

Well that worked fucking great.

I am not kidding when I say he woke up EVERY FUCKING HOUR FROM 7:00 PM TO 5:00 AM.  And then he just flat out wouldn't go back to sleep after 5:30.  Not nursing.  Not in the rocker.

So fuck sleep training.

On Monday I'm calling his pediatrician and I want either (or both) the recommended dose for melatonin for babies or a referral for a sleep study.  Because you can't sleep train a chronically sleep deprived baby as a chronically sleep deprived mama.  And this is not a behavioral problem.

The end.

10 comments:

  1. Reverse cycling from daycare on top of teething? Both compounding the previous sleep (or lack thereof) issues? Tried motrin and chamomilla/chamomile tea/teething tablets before bed? I'm not saying it will solve the problems, but if it's any part teeth-related maybe it'll help him go back to sleep easier?

    My daughter is 10.5 mo as well and typically wakes up to nurse 4-6 times a night. The earliest I can get her to bed is usually 9-10pm. Honestly I don't want her to go to sleep any earlier because when she goes down I HAVE to as well.
    Her sleep issues got worse when I went back to work 3d/wk. I think some breastfed babies just tend to take in most of their calories at night. 2 different pediatricians told us "some babies sleep... some don't". Reflux meds made things worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite possible he's teething--just got one new tooth in the past week--but he doesn't seem to be in pain. I do give him tylenol most nights, but I could switch to ibuprofen and see if that works better...

    yes, I do think, he's upped his nursing because of daycare, though this problem has been around since birth!

    sounds like your'e dealing with the same stuff. i'm sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, if you even suspect teething, try infant motrin. That stuff was made by angels. And it lasts 6-8 hours instead of 3-4. I frequently pray that DC2 doesn't start teething until after 6 months so we can use it.

    When DC1 was reverse cycling we coslept and I slept shirtless and he just fed himself without me waking up. I don't know if that would be possible in your case. DC2 (age 2 months) seems to be suffering from nothing other than boredom at night, but boredom makes her scream, and screaming means mommy can't sleep. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the indigestion DC1 had at this age.

    I hope you get to nap today. I hope I get to nap today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also if it's teething, you can double-dose motrin and tylenol. Something we would do in desperation with DC1. I don't remember the procedure for double dosing, but it is probably online if you don't want to wait until talking to the pedi on monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also stopped eating dairy, soy, and gluten because I got tired of trying to correlate her sleep with my diet. She doesn't seem as uncomfortable after I stopped eating soy, who knows though.

    I was so frustrated I had to change my outlook on all the sleepless hours... people may think its stupid, but I decided to try and look at it like it was extra time I get to spend with her. The mythical "other" babies that sleep all night don't get near as much time with their mommys.

    Sometime in the next year she's going to start sleeping longer (I imagine), and a crazy little part of me will miss these nights. Good luck... hope you can nap today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodi...yeah, I've decided to cut dairy and wheat. I've been pretty lax with my own dietary restrictions.

    I will say I haven't noticed a difference when I've cut that duo (I'm always soy-free) but he's been eating dairy recently so it's worth seeing if that's an issue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it helps. If I find any magic sleeping potions I'll let you know. Hyland's Calms Forte seems to calm her down a bit when she's in the car seat, but it's far from magical.
      One thing her pediatrician mentioned that's apparently common with teething is that low grade intermittent fevers tend to cause a bit of waxy discharge from ears. She's never had an ear infection so when I see that I give her Motrin more often. She told us we could give 100mg of Motrin if it was with some food. She's 21lb.
      Anyways, hope tonight is better.

      Delete
  7. This is unbearable. I'm so sorry. Your little guy has to get this in gear soon. I am really hoping for answers from the pediatrician. Melatonin would be a great thing if it works. ANYTHING at this point.

    My little wake up every hour after a long stretch chicita banana baby problems are wee relatively speaking. You are doing an amazing job even if you are sleep deprived. Which I think you need a new word like, starved. Sleep starved.

    I feel like there will be something that clicks for him soon. I'm talking to you Tiny Boy. Sleep is a precious gift that keeps on giving. A happy mama is a rested mama, trust me on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes, starved. What a great term.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO SORRY! Sounds like an utterly impossible situation.

    ReplyDelete