The baby is sleeping. Yes, internets, Tiny Boy took a 3-hour nap this morning and has been down for 1.25 hrs this afternoon (and still going). Now, let's not talk about the fact that he's required frequent re-nursing, re-shushing, re-rocking, or the fact that he woke for the day at 5:30, after a usual all-night nurse-a-thon. No, we're just going to focus on sleeping baby.
And since sleeping baby requires mommy in bed next to him--with a glass of water, a laptop, and a turkey sandwich--I will add an addendum to my previous post.
1. The university is an annoying heteronormative place that largely assumes a professor has a stay-at-home partner. The result is that I end up using more childcare than I would like (i.e. for evening--and occasionally weekend--events), or I don't show up for things, and that's a crappy trade off. I haven't been reticent about calling attention to this problem. Perhaps I should have been as an untenured person, but my feminist/gender studies prof side took over. I could go on and on about this. But I have a teaching schedule that works generally well for a working mother (and obviously three years of fertility treatment), so right now while I think certain things about the institution are fucked up, my own personal life is good.
2. I realized I didn't say anything about cooking. I need to meal plan for the week more than I do...and certainly will once I am back in the classroom. I use the crock pot several times per week; thankfully LG likes soup as much as I do. I still have a freezer stash of food I made prior to Tiny Boy's arrival, and now that LG eats dairy (yes!) I am not sad when I give her a pizza and I eat leftovers she doesn't like. We do take out once per week, generally (we used to go out most Fridays and just haven't since the baby was born).
3. My biggest challenge right now, as I have blogged about previously, is the after school/evening routine. Would help if Tiny Boy had a semi-consistent bedtime, preferably before LG's. Right now I'm constantly dashing between rocking the baby and helping the girl with her homework or playing games with her. Thankfully, she likes to read independently.
And that's all. Again.
Yay for better sleeping! I hope his sleeping only continues to improve!!
ReplyDelete