Tuesday, December 1, 2009

All the Rest

A disclaimer, before I get going: I am still quite grateful for my list of 37 and the many other big and small good things in my life (mostly, health, LG, family, friends, having a job). That doesn't mean I can't get pissy about things sometimes, and that's how I'm feeling right now. Some things that are going on that make me crabby:
  • Students plagiarizing papers. I made a huge speech in my class yesterday, a class with a clump of suspected plagiarists, clarifying the academic integrity policy of the class and asking people to come forward if they had violated the policy. The result was a good THIRD of the class emailing to ask me if I suspected her/him of plagiarizing. SO NOT THE POINT.
  • This damn cold. I think the old one was almost gone and a new one came to take its place, but snot is running down my throat, and that's just nasty.
  • A colleague in another unit (whom I've never even met) taking advantage of my generosity in doing her a favor and asking me to do it again.
  • I forgot to renew my car's registration (which expired on my birthday), which means spending time at a government branch office to write them a check, now with a ten dollar late fee. Dumb dumb dumb.
  • Too much email from students (see #1).
  • Apparently LG has a field trip today. I would have liked to have been notified before yesterday of this event, even if it is free. Perhaps I would have liked to accompany her?
  • I'm just feeling OFF. Not pregnant. Just OFF. I fully expect a negative beta on Friday or Saturday, whenever I choose to get my blood drawn.

3 comments:

  1. Plagiarism really pisses me off too. The writer in me I guess. It isnt hard to take someone else's idea and make it your own; you dont have to steal it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not following the distinction. Taking someone else's idea, without acknowledgment or permission, IS plagiarism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it's a crabby day. No, it doesn't make you any less grateful for the good things, it just makes you wish that the bad things didn't have to be SO irritating. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete