Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Other Shoe

Dr. Gorgeous only retrieved 4 eggs.

She said something about the others being "stuck." I was too out of it to ask for clarification that actually made sense. I'm not sure if she got the biggest 4, or the smallest 4, or only the ones on the right, or...

They'll do ICSI on all of them. She's hoping to get 2 embryos for a 3 day transfer.

I'm not that hopeful. I'd like to be optimistic but I'm feeling like this cycle is done. I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Right now I'm waiting for the pain killer to kick in so I can go to sleep. Admittedly, my pain is mostly emotional. Sigh.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you didn't get as many you expected. That happened this week for me as well. I'm very much hoping to hear a good fert report from you tomorrow! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit. Sorry to hear that more weren't retrieved. I know that someone will say "well, it only takes one" and we all know that's true, but...well, shit that sucks and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh G, I am so sorry. I know you were hoping for so much more.

    Stuck? Will they be able to tell you what that means?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks!
    Hope I'll cheer you by telling you that in my last cycle I also had only 4 eggs retrieved and am now pregnant (well I hope I still am, but that's besides the point..).
    Crossing my fingers for you.

    Though may I ask - why day 3? As only 2 of my eggs were fertilized, I had a day 2 transfere. As far as I understand (and I really do not understand a lot), it is better to return as early as possible, the womb being the best place. Usually when there are quite a few embies, a day 3 or 5 transfere is done since then the best ones can be chosen. But if there are only two..
    Well anyway, as I said, crossing my fingers for a good fertilization report and then for them to stick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Billy. That's useful perspective. I don't think my clinic ever considers a day 2. If there are problems with the embryos, there are problems with the embryos, regardless of when they're put back. While I wouldn't want to hurt their chances, Dr. G really believes that if they can't make it to day 5, they're usually not worth putting back anyway.

    Michelle, from the little reading I've done, it seems eggs can get stuck to the follicle wall if there's a problem with metabolizing hcg, or with high exposure to LH drugs (which is true for me), or for "poor responders" (also my case). Those eggs frequently have chromosome problems, so in a way it's good that they're out of the equation and not being turned into embryos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. I'm so sorry. Sometimes it feels like this process is one disappointment after another. I'll be the one to say it: "You only need one!" - trite, but true. Thinking of you, and hoping you have to choose between 4 perfect and beautiful embryos in a couple of days, so that you can keep 2 and freeze 2, which would be a totally respectable performance!!

    (Does it help that my "word verification" word below is MOTHR?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I'm sorry. As others have said, it's absolutely possible to get pregnant with four (a friend had four, two fertilized, both put back on day 3, the kid's now a few months shy of 2), but it must be very demoralizing. I am holding my breath and crossing my fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bites. I'm sorry Gwinne. I'm not losing hope for you. I hope you get very good news today!

    ReplyDelete